There are many advantages that can be realized from keeping the dairy goats. These include
- The initial capital investment is less compared to cattle
- Are well adapted to tropical harsh conditions (feed and water shortages, heat stress, rough terrain and tropical diseases)
- Goats are hardy and can still survive on scavenging
- Small in size hence easily managed by women, children and the elderly
- Easily sold
- High reproductive rate. Their gestation period is only five months as compared to nine in cattle
- Twinning rate is high
- Require relatively less space for their structures
- Have shorter generation interval
- High growth rate hence mature early
- Longer lactation period than sheep hence stay longer in production
- Utilizes a wide variety of feed hence easy to manage their feeding program
- They breed through all the seasons (not seasonal breeders)
- Their products have medicinal values (milk and meat)
- Reduced risk of loss. It is easy to replace a goat that it is to replace a cow
Other Products from dairy goat industry
- breeding stock and
- Hides and Skins.
- Include; Hooves, manure, bones, horns, blood
- Availability of goat rearing space.
- High demand for goat’s milk.
- Availability of goat’s semen at CAIS.
- High nutritional and medicinal value of goat’s milk.
- Highly trained personnel are available.
- Credit facilities available.